Thursday 7 December 2006

Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end

So, here we are, once again starting a blog. Having become increasingly bored with LiveJournal, I have opted not to set up my own blog, but to move this whole shillelagh to blogger.com. It certainly is more flexible than before and prefabbed, so I didn't have to spend much time tweaking stylesheets.

New beginnings are always interesting, as they require something else to end - as the title of this post (borrowed from the Semisonic song 'Closing Time') indicates. Although I won't be able to blog as frequently as before, I hope I will be able to bring greater depth into what I write. That doesn't mean that there won't be one-liner snippets every once in a while (as said, time is going to become more and more scarce in the next few months).

I've also been debating with myself, whether I should retain the original format of my posts. Not in terms of fonts or spacing - but rather whether I should write frankly and emotionally, as I did before. After all, I have been trained all my life to make my arguments objective, rational, down to earth...

But there are two reasons, why I will go against my training - as I have before in my LiveJournal days, albeit without any declared aim - and stick to wearing my heart on my sleeve. First, I simply like it that way; it's a safety valve, if issues creep up to which I have no answer... and they most often do!
You see, I need to release the emotional pressure.

Am I afraid that writing emotionally (and therefore overtly declaring where my heart is at any given moment) - instead of rationally and objectively (and thus using logic and rationality as a shield against unwelcome arguments) - will be used against me? No. And there is nothing more that needs to be said about that.

Second, I have come to understand that I can only write, if I am unconstrained in my thoughts. My thoughts, however, being necessarily linked to my emotions (here's the slavic soul for you) are unfree, if I can't express my emotions along with my thoughts. This is a freedom I need. A freedom I define myself by.

This is my quality: I think I feel, but I also feel my thoughts.


If you regard this as a character flaw, go somewhere else.

All others, welcome to a new beginning...


No comments: